LOCAL | Drunk on Alga

What is alga you ask? It is not a new wine ( although maybe it should be), not is it a liquor, beer or any other spirit. 

Alga is a road. 

At least once a week I drive the 3 or so miles between El Camino Real and Melrose, down the winding road past beautiful homes, a water tower, golfing greens and a church or two. 

Always in the afternoon and usually on the same day in the middle of the week. 

Yes, afternoon. Yes, middle of the week.

So, what exactly is Drunk on Alga?

Drunk on Alga is the gentle swaying of a car as it makes it way past the perfectly  trimmed trees lined along the perfectly paved road. Drunk on Alga is the oblivious delay at a green light or the sudden stop at a red by a driver whose slow reflexes may be mistaken for a minor distraction. Drunk on Alga is driving 10 miles under the speed limit in the right lane as cars who need to turn onto an approaching street decide whether or not they should just go around. 

Occasionally, as I make my way down this familiar path of roadway I often wonder, maybe my senses are wrong. Maybe the obvious signs are all in my head and my over active imagination and the warm California sun is playing tricks on me. 

Maybe I'm the one who is drunk? (Fact: I never drink and drive).

Drunk on Alga. 

No comments: