FOOD | Blueberry Pancakes (70 Calories/each)

After the Banana Bread disaster I honestly thought about never blogging my food again. 

In my defense I discovered that my oven temperature is off by 100°+ and have since added a new thermometer. Thank you grandma!!!  I also tried the banana bread recipe two more times and it came out perfect (and more importantly unburned) both times. So feel free to try it, just double check your oven temp!

Speaking of my awesome Grandma...

One of my favorite childhood memories was vising every summer in Washington state. She had a large blueberry bush in her front yard and every morning she would send my brother, sister and I out to pick blueberries from it. She used them to make us homemade muffins, pancakes, and syrup. Every August since I get an irresistible craving for blueberries! 




| Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes | 




Ingredients:

1 cup Quaker Oatmeal Pancake Mix

1/4 cup Egg Beaters

3/4 Silk Pure Almond

3.4 oz package Fresh Blueberries

I Can't Believe it's not butter! (As needed)


Combine pancake mix, eggbeaters, and almond milk in large mixing bowl. Gently fold in blueberries. Preheat your grill to medium (350° F) and lightly coat it with your butter spray. 

Make pancakes. 


Tip: I use an Ice Cream spoon to get (practically perfect 1/4 cup) size scoops of batter. Flipping pancakes is an art in itself and I'm definitely not the person to ask for advice. 


I usually make a large batch of pancakes and freeze them. Confession: I was inspired to do this after a brilliant post by blogger Kate from Catching Up with Kate. Check out her site, it's pretty awesome! Here is the link to her recipe.

 Every morning for breakfast I toss a few in the microwave and heat them up for about 30 seconds. Served with Turkey bacon, these make a great breakfast that takes me less than 5 minutes to prepare on busy school days.

Don't like Blueberries? Neither does my husband!
(and yes, I am totally judging both of you right now.)

Try one of these add ins: (Calorie Counts Vary but some make excellent surprises for special occasions. I'm looking at you Peanut butter cup pancakes!)

APPLE CINNAMON | Stir in 1/4 cup of applesauce and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to batter.

PUMPKIN SPICE | Stir in 1/4 cup of pumpkin purée and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice. 

BANANA NUT | Slice a medium banana and sprinkle with walnuts.

PEANUT BUTTER CUP | Add 1/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter (should be almost fluid) and fold in 3 oz chocolate chips. 


How do you keep Breakfast simple and healthy on school days? Before this recipe my daughter often ate cereal that didn't keep her full before lunch.

The other benefit of preparing a weeks worth of pancakes is the lack of dishes! I only have to do them once!

No comments: